Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
Tooth decay is harmful to the teeth and should be treated in its earliest stages to prevent further damage. While the easiest and least invasive treatment for small to moderate dental cavities is a dental filling, some patients are reluctant to undergo this form of treatment because they have misconceptions about the treatment. Many patients have images of dark gray fillings that will negatively affect the aesthetics of the teeth and smile. Fortunately, at the practice of cosmetic dentist Craig S. Kohler, those metal fillings are a thing of the past. Dr. Kohler offers his Chicago patients composite fillings. These fillings are fabricated of tooth-colored resin. These tooth-colored fillings offer our patients a number of advantages over metal fillings.
The Advantage of Tooth-colored Fillings
In the past, it was typical for dental fillings to be composed of silver amalgam. These fillings contained a mixture of metal and were dark gray in color. While metal fillings are still the choice of some dentists, Dr. Kohler works with tooth-colored fillings. Tooth-colored fillings, composed of a composite resin, are preferred by Dr. Kohler because of the following benefits that they provide our patients:
- Improved aesthetics: Tooth-colored fillings are carefully matched to the shade of the patient’s teeth. This means that they blend in so seamlessly with the tooth that they are virtually undetectable. This offers a great advantage over the dark gray fillings of the past that stood out obviously against the teeth.
- Improved strength: Tooth-colored fillings are actually bonded to the tooth’s natural enamel. This means that the filling not only restores the structure of the tooth, but also enhances its strength.
- Preserves more tooth structure: By using tooth-colored fillings, Dr. Kohler is able to remove less tooth structure than that which is required when placing a metal filling. This allows the patient to preserve more of the natural tooth structure.
- Safer for the teeth: Metal fillings have a tendency to contract and expand over time as a result of temperature fluctuations. While the expansion and contraction are often minimal, they put the tooth under an almost constant pressure that can weaken the tooth and eventually cause damage such as a crack or fracture.
- Free of harmful materials: Metal fillings are known to have minimal traces of mercury. Many patients prefer tooth-colored fillings because they are free of this potentially harmful material. Tooth-colored fillings are also an excellent option for patients who have had adverse reactions to metal fillings in the past.
- Durable: Composite fillings are very strong and can withstand all the normal wear and tear of eating and chewing. With proper care, tooth-colored fillings can last for up to 15 years.
Tooth-colored fillings are an excellent option for patients who wish to repair the damage of tooth decay without negatively affecting the aesthetics of the smile. However, fillings are just one of the many restorative dentistry treatments offered by Dr. Kohler. Patients with more extensive damage can discuss alternate treatment options such as dental crowns or dental implants.
Schedule an Appointment
If damage or decay is negatively affecting the health of your teeth and the beauty of your smile, schedule an appointment with Dr. Craig S. Kohler at your earliest convenience to discuss treatment. Dr. Kohler can restore the strength and beauty of your teeth to leave you feeling confident and proud of your smile!