Benefits of Dental Cleanings
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
The foundation of any beautiful smile is good oral health, and good oral health begins with strong oral hygiene practices, such as proper brushing and flossing at home and visiting our general dentistry practice twice a year as recommended by the American Dental Association for comprehensive exams and professional cleanings. At the practice of Craig S. Kohler, DDS in Wilmette, dental exams and professional cleanings are essential to maintaining a healthy, functional mouth and attractive, radiant smile.
However, many people underestimate the importance of routine dental visits, believing that regular brushing and flossing are sufficient to keep their mouths clean and healthy. They believe this, that is until a dental emergency forces them to seek professional treatment. If more people visited the dentist twice a year for routine exams and cleanings, there would be significantly less need for advanced – and more expensive – restorative treatments such as crowns, fillings, bridges, and dental implants.
When it comes to your oral health, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure, and then some. By coming to see us regularly, you give us the opportunity to detect potential problems in their earliest possible stages, when they can most easily, conservatively, and inexpensively be treated. And this philosophy extends not only to common dental issues such as cavities and gum disease but also to such dangerous conditions as oral cancer.
So do yourself a favor and make an appointment to visit our practice for a dental exam and professional cleaning today. You’ll be glad that you did.
Your Initial Consultation
Your first appointment at our dental practice will begin with a consultation with Dr. Kohler. This will give you and Dr. Kohler an opportunity to get to know each other and become comfortable with one another. During this consultation, the two of you will discuss:
- Your past dental experiences and your future dental goals.
- Your medical history, including any conditions and allergies you might have, medications you take, and special needs of which Dr. Kohler should be aware.
- Any apprehensions or anxieties you have about undergoing dental work.
After this consultation, you will proceed with your dental exam and cleaning.
Your Dental Exam and Cleaning
Your dental exam and professional cleaning will be comprehensive. They will include:
- A complete examination of your mouth, including your teeth, gums, and other hard and soft tissues of your mouth. You will receive thorough screenings for periodontal disease, oral cancer, and other tissue abnormalities.
- X-rays of your mouth to identify potential problems with your teeth, gums, and jaw in their earliest stages.
- An examination of your head and neck.
- An evaluation of your bite and temporomandibular joints (TMJs).
- remove plaque and tartar that you cannot remove through brushing and flossing at home.
- Advice on how to improve your at-home oral hygiene regimen.
In addition, if any oral health issues are detected, Dr. Kohler will recommend a treatment plan and assist you in scheduling follow-up visits. If not, you will be advised to schedule a follow-up visit in approximately six months for your next exam and cleaning.
Contact Our General Dentistry Practice Today
To schedule your dental exam and professional cleaning, please contact our general dentistry practice today!